Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Job Search

As many of you know, I work in the Recruiting world. It is a very interesting job, and it certainly does not hold a dull moment in my day! I know I can speak for all of my co-workers when I say that we run across various interesting (to say the least...) job seekers, and of course situations that all makes us think "what the...?!" There are those job seekers who are hard workers though due to the economy were laid off and are in desperate need for a new job to support their family. Then there are those job seekers who see the "grass greener on the other side" and jump from here, to there, to everywhere! Over the past 3 1/2 yrs of being in recruiting, I've experienced some things that I would like to share, not only as a giggle for your Thursday - but as a lesson to help you in your job search if you are to ever move forward in the search for a new career!

Your Resume
*Spell check is loaded into all document/office programs for a reason. I've seen resumes that had nearly 20 mis-spelled words in the document. When asking the candidate why there were so many errors: "His friend typed it out for him because his two arms were broken." True story. Why did Bill Gates give us spell check? It was to help you succeed in VARIOUS elements of your life!

Sending your resume/application
*Every now and then, our company posts positions to external job boards. These job boards indicate that the interested job seeker should move forward and apply online to the company career page. As luck would have it, we have to post an email address for resumes to come into as well. My posting will indicate something along the lines of: All applicants must apply online to X-Company Career Portal. Please reference job code xxx. It is without a doubt I receive resumes from those who have not paid attention. It's fine - I'll look at them still. However, when you know that you're sending your resume to: rebecca.warren - do not title your cover letter or email to catch my eye as: Dear Sir(s). I'm not only not a man, but I am certainly not two men. Personalize your cover letter to each person for which you are sending to. We notice these things.

If we're interested, we'll call you
*There are so many job seekers out there who are afraid of "being lost in the shuffle." Don't worry - we have very good systems, and it is hard to forget people when we have to watch this system daily. However, if we call you to set up a phone screen/interview - we are interested. If we call and leave you a voicemail, you do not need to call us back 209384290384 times to get it scheduled. If we do not answer on the first try, we are probably on the phone with another candidate or in the bathroom. We have caller ID, and we can see your every call and hang up without leaving a voicemail... we see you! :) Give us time - if we're interested, you will receive a call back!

Meeting face-to-face
*There are obviously things to remember when meeting a hiring manager face-to-face, and it is can be very scary! A few things to remember when going in for your in person interview:
1.) Wear appropriate clothing. Things not to wear are things such as: Hawaiian Shirts, Flip Flops or the wrinkled suit that has been in your Grandpa's trunk for 15 years that hardly fits. You look like a rag-bag, and you will be rejected.
2.) Do not bring your kids to the interview! I wish I could say that this hasn't happened - but, there are people out there who felt the need to bring their children in with them.
3.) Take off your hot-pink Bluetooth: it's an hour, you're applying for an hourly position - I am certain that you are able to take that Bluetooth off for about an hour to meet with what could be your next boss.

Nitty-Gritty details of your new job
*If you are offered this new job, congratulations! You will receive an offer packet that has all of the information that you will need to know to begin your first day! Some of the information may be overwhelming, and it is completely understand about that you may have questions. Be sure to read your packet, and follow ALL instructions. Especially those contents that are bolded or highlighted. If they stand out, they are of importance and require immediate attention. Additionally, once you come on with your first week of the job: make sure you know the difference between who does the following jobs: I/T, Benefits, Payroll or HR Service Center, etc. Your Recruiting Team does not handle any of these elements, no matter how wonderful you think we may be! We wish we could help - but there is a reason I am not in payroll... I cannot figure out my own check, so no way I am going to be able to help with yours!

Just a few tools for thought as I sit on the couch and recover from surgery! Wishing everyone a very Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, sorry, but you NEED to get into more specifics. I canNOT believe someone wore their bluetooth during the interview! Are people really THAT stupid? Don't they know it screams "I have something else more important to do than interview right now"? Wow. But yeah, more specifics like that would be verrrry entertaining! :) P.S. We miss you at work!!!

    ReplyDelete