Sunday, July 19, 2009

Little Things in Life

As years go by, and adult maturity kicks in (ha ha) - noticing things that you didn't notice as a child truly begin to have meaning. Over the past few years, I have had random times where something happens and you just think of how wonderful they are - even if they are silly and small. Honestly, it is those little things that can bring a smile to my face and make me realize just how great my life really is.

*The morning Diet Coke: call me crazy, but a morning without Diet Coke is like a day without sunlight! It is that first Diet Coke of the day that makes me happy and no matter how bad my day is going to be, there is always that first sip of DC that made me smile!

*Please's & Thank You's: One thing that my parents always taught my sister and I were manners. I cannot imagine going a day without saying these two little words. They don't take much effort; but to some people - clearly they do. When a door is held open for you, a Thank You is always appreciated. Remember: I could have let that door slam in your face. Because my workday consists of being on email all day - I personally find it a necessity to make sure to always say thank you. I never want to be known as that girl who is un-appreciative and rude.

*Seeing long-distance friends & family: The 4 of us are the only family we have in Ohio. For the past 14 yrs, majority of our holidays were spent with just us. Every now and again we would have the opportunity to spend it with other family members; but it isn't a lot. Being able to spend time with family and friends who we don't see often means the world to me. I miss my family & longest friends on the West Coast, and wish with all my might I could see everyone more than I currently do. But - it is those times I am able to see them that makes me appreciate them for all that they are.

*Helping those in need: As many of you know - my Mom works for Delaware County People in Need. It is an organization who helps those in need - whether it's providing them with food, or assistance with other life's necessities. This started for my Mom as just a volunteering opportunity to do something that she loved, though has changed into a true part-time job for her. With her dedication to help those in need, it has truly rubbed off on my sister and I. Every December since my Mom started volunteering, the Warren Family has been a large part of Toyland at our Holiday Clearinghouse. Being able to provide families with Holiday presents for their children, and watching those less fortunate be able to give their child the presents they deserve but couldn't afford is priceless. If I didn't work full-time, I'd dedicate as much time as I possibly could to this organization. The things that they do and provide are incredible and it makes me fortunate for all that I have. Additionally, it has helped me to see through the eyes of others how hard life can be. I try as much as possible to donate children's clothes or food at every opporunity I can. Those small things can change a person's life.

*My Camera: Since high school, I have always been heavily into photography. Though I don't do it much anymore as I should - the chances that I do get out to see the world through my camera are all worth it. There is always one picture that you will take of your subject that catches your eye and sparkles like it's the most spectacular picture in the world. I would not trade a day of driving around anywhere I can with my camera to find that one picture out of 100 that can take your breath away.

There are so many sad things happening in the world right now that reflecting on what I do have, and what makes me happy is truly important. I couldn't be any more thrilled with my life and all that I have. I know that I lack things that others have, but I also have things that others do not have that make up for those missing elements. I don't have a boyfriend/husband, I don't have children... But I do have a fabulous family, wonderful friends, the most amazing opportunties to travel and see as much as the world as I possibly can before all of those elements come my way. It is all the combined things up top that make me smile, and remember the great things in life that I love so much and have learned from daily.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love the volunteering aspect. I've wanted to do something like that for the holidays too.

    ReplyDelete