Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Worst Day of the Year


I am not sure how well you all know me, but there is one thing that all of those around me who know me know this little fact. There is one day of the calendar year that I do not like, and regardless of what happens later in life - I will continue not to like. For others, it's one of the best days which they cannot wait to approach.

Well folks, we are rapidly approaching this day...

February 14th -- Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day is the single worst Holiday that we celebrate. Knowing that majority of those around me have loved ones, and have someone to celebrate it with - I understand that they may love this day. For me, who has spent 99% of her years on this day single, I have a very different perspective. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that people around me are happy. I am happy that they have Valentine's of their own. But for those single people out there, it is a day of constant reminders that they are losers and cannot find a Valentine of their own. Especially when this reminder comes once a year, after year, after year, after year, after year....

Am I jealous? Well - of course I am! I would be lying if I said I wasn't. However, I am not jealous enough where I cannot function through the rest of my life and I do have the ability to move on. I am also adult enough to realize that my time will come. But, do you know what may not come - is my liking for Valentine's Day. As stating before, it is a hurtful Holiday. I look around at my single friends around me (we are few and far between and very much the minority), and I watch us sit and scratch our heads wondering it will be our turn. Single people do not need this constant reminder, and blow to the self-esteem. Moving forward in my life, I cannot say that this is a Holiday that I ever want to celebrate. There are hurting people on this Holiday, and being that I've been in those shoes and hurting myself - I don't want to think about those people around me who are hurting. Is there a celebration for single people during the year? Nope. I truly believe that it is crap.

Am I bitter? Nah. I'm realistic. It shouldn't take Valentine's Day for your loved one to remember to remind you of how special you are. That is what Anniversaries are for. That is what Birthdays are for. That is what Christmas and New Years are for. Cupid is a short little bald baby wearing a diaper... I know plenty of little babies who are far cuter than homely little Cupid.

The best day of my life? February 15th: When Valentine's Day is over and I do not have to think about it for 364 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment