Monday, February 15, 2010

Facebook: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

I've come to realize that whoever the creator of Facebook is, they are pure genius. LinkedIn is a great source of networking for those in the business world, but Facebook is probably the greatest networking tool I've ever used in my life. Let's be honest, Myspace was so 5 years ago - and it really is disgusting now. It's like the Jerry Springer of social network sites. My Myspace friends list that once contained about 200 people, now holds 75. How sad is that? I should really just delete it all together, but I hold onto hope that there is one friend from my days of living in Washington or California that may or may not find me from Myspace. So - I keep it around, just for a rainy day. (I am from Seattle after all and can relate to the rain...)

Then...

There's Facebook

Facebook has become a great way to connect with old friends, relatives you don't see often, relatives you see too often, and allows you to know co-workers who you don't know much about. Majority of everyone I know now, has a Facebook. Imagine my shock and surprise when I found out that my Grandpa did. Never in a million years could I imagine that happening, but that's how you know just how big it is. I've reconnected with so many lost friends and family, that I've lost count. I could go on about the benefits of this social networking site for days, but I'll spare you. You yourself, likely has a Facebook - so you already know!

To go with every pro, there has to be some cons. I know, you refuse to believe it - but there are.

  • Frequent Status Updates: I understand that many of you might have a lot going on, but the need to update your statuses every 5 minutes can be a little exhausting. I do care that you are doing the dishes, washing your car, or chasing your cat behind the couch - but let's space it out a little bit. Since I've been home from work, I have done the following: kicked the snow off my boots, changed my snow covered pants, made dinner, ate dinner, helped my sister work the new mixer, watched 3 shows on tv.... now can you imagine if I would have posted a new status for every time I did something new? You'd probably be a little annoyed. Just throwing it out there!
  • Bragging Statuses: Not considering people's feelings in your statuses is harsh. Personally, I try very hard not to say things that I know is going to hurt the feelings of one of my friends and family. I could have posted about every date I've ever been on, I could have posted about every vacation I've ever planned from the moment it has come up, or all of the income tax money I've received back this year- but, I don't. I know that it hurts people's feelings, and I do try to do my best to ensure that no one feels badly about themselves when I put something up. Not to mention: there is a little thing called karma. I refuse to be hit by the karma bug when a relationship doesn't work out, when the gov't takes my money back from making an error, or a hurricane comes through my vacation spot in mid-March while I am in Florida. Always use caution when updating your braggy status. (However, every now and again is okay! Just don't make it a habit.)
  • Misinterpreted Statuses: Nothing is more annoying than someone taking your own status out of context. When I post something along the lines of:
    Please do not assume that this is a direct hit towards you. This status is left open for interpretation, and could be about the snow. It could be about work. It could be about my trunk which had ice in the way from opening/shutting all the way and kept my "open trunk light" on. OR - it could be about you... but what did you do to make me say those awful words?!
  • Need to have one more friend than the other people on your list: I am so completely okay with adding people you may or may not know very well. But, I often feel that people add people on Facebook merely to for the "I have more friends than you" factor. Now, I know that the 600+ people on my sister's friends list was all from college and her constant get togethers, parties & sorority functions. But, I also know that there are people on your list who you were never friends with, and you have added just to add if you have 1,000+ people... I've had those people tried to add me, and I can tell you - they are not on my list. If I wasn't friends with you in high school and you probably made fun of me - I'm sorry, I will likely reject your request.
Bottom line: Facebook is amazingly wonderful and a fantastic way to pass the time and learn about your friends! Before adding a few people on Facebook, I didn't know that they had the cutest dogs in the world, the most adorable baby with the most gorgeous of eyes, or that you had chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight.

I ask you: What would your world be like without the wonder that is Facebook?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, when did you live in Cali???

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember back when you didn't want a facebook and i created one for you??? :)

    also, i blogged about my least favorite facebook things once, too! love it.

    ReplyDelete