Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympics Obsession

For as long as I can possibly remember, I've always been a fan of the Olympics. It could be the freezing winter Olympics, or the bright and cheery summer Olympics - it doesn't matter. I love both equally. No matter what is going on in my life, every two years I become obsessed with the Olympics. I will truly arrange my schedule to watch the Opening Ceremonies, or to watch my favorite events/athletes. This year is no exception, I was scheduled to spend the weekend up at Courtney's which is about 2 hrs away from me. I perfectly timed the time I would leave work and head up to her house to ensure that I caught every moment of the beginning of the games. From the 1st note of the Olympic Fanfare is played, I am filled with excitement! I think that it has something to do with Bob Costas and Matt Lauer commentating the games. They are a great team together!

There are so many events and athletes that I can recall through the years, and truly will hold in my mind forever.

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov: Figure Skating Pairs, 1994 Lillehammer Olympics

For those of you who do not know the background to this amazing duo, here is a little background information. Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov were a gold medal winning duo from Russia. Regardless, Americans loved them and they were very well loved through all the world. When they skated, you could see the love that they shared was real and the connection that they had. In 1995, during a practice Sergei collapsed and suffered a major heart attack. In 1996, a book was released written by Ekaterina about their figure skating days and love that they had for one another. In 1998, she released her 2nd book which was dedicated to her daughter. In this same year, I had the opportunity to meet her in person and get her book autographed. It was such a wonderful experience. From this point on, Ekaterina continued her skating career as a solo, and continues to skate today in exhibitions.

Michael Phelps: Swimming - 2008 Beijing Olympics
Let's face it, this guy is an animal! In the most recent of summer Olympic games, all Americans were glued to their tv watching Michael continue to break various records on time and medal counts. Throughout the games, he continued to win those medals and become a major role model for all young athletes. Watching him continue his streak truly was truly amazing.

Jaycie Phelps, Gymnastics - 1996 Atlanta Olympics
I can't lie, Gymnastics is probably my most favorite event of all the Olympics. Not that I ever did Gymnastics, but I suppose it is the closest to my background of competitive Baton Twirling; especially with the floor routines. Jaycie Phelps, to me, had the ultimate floor routine in the 1996 Atlanta games. From the moves, to the music - I will always remember it! A part of me thinks that I loved her routine because her song was one of the songs that one of my great friends twirled to in her team routine. I think that I had the connection of watching Jen twirl to the song, and Jaycie dance around the floor to the song. I will always remember Jaycie and her attempt for the gold during these games.

Tonya Harding: Figure Skating - 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
Let me start by saying, I liked Tonya Harding before she went crazy and hiring hit mans to take out Nancy Kerrigans knee. That's a very important note before I start my little blurb on her Olympic experience in Lillehammer. To me, I actually like Nancy Kerrigan more (for obvious reasons!). The games for Tonya, didn't turn out so hot due to the broken lace prior to one of her events. In a hurry, the lace was replaced with a lace that was far too short for her boot and ended up breaking once again in her first jump. However, there was something about Tonya's outfit that stood out in my mind. A year later, I begged my Mom for a new baton outfit for my solo competition routine and to my shock - she agreed if I helped pay for it. I babysat and did chores to help with the making of this new outfit and the final product turned out modeled after her Lillehammer outfit. It turned out perfectly and just the way I wanted. I have Tonya to thank for the inspiration!

Last but not least - my favorite Olympic memory...

Kerri Strug: Gymnastics - 1996 Atlanta Olympics
Women's Gymnastics was flawless during the 1996 Olympic Games. The team was known as the "Magnificent 7" because of their skills, strengths and being an all around phenomenal team. With a few mistakes, they remained strong but were followed close by the Russians and the Romanians. Kerri Strug was the last of the Americans to take the vault, and would be the deciding factor of who won the gold medal. The vault was the strongest of her events, and the team went in confident. First vault landing was rough, and caused her to fall and injure her foot. Shaking it off, her team members were confident that she could shake off the pain and hopefully the result was minor. The second vault she stuck PERFECTLY, and all of the United States were cheering until she fell down and was unable to walk off the floor. Though this vault was the key to their winning the gold medal in these games. Every time I watch the video on youtube, I tear up (aka: cry like a baby). This event is one that I will never forget, nor will I need to rely on youtube to watch it for a reminder. It is something I will remember forever.

My goal: one day to be at the Olympics in person. I don't care if it is Winter, I don't care if it is Summer - I want to experience everything first hand. Hence why I was hoping Chicago would win the bid for the Summer Olympics. However, I guess I will be forced to buy a passport and someday leave our wonderful country to experience the Olympics elsewhere in the world. I'm looking forward to this goal!

2 comments:

  1. the magnificent 7 in the atlanta olympics were my faaaavorites!!! i loved dominique moceanu's "the devil went down to georgia" floor routine. so flipping cute. loved. it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callie-you beat me to the punch! What about Dominique's (#343 by the way...) on floor with Devil Went Down to Georgia...indescribable!! Don't forget about Amanda Borden on beam and Amy Chow on bars...AHHHH! They were all so MAGNIFICENT! Best part...Svetlana Khorkina (aka Abalony girl) feel on bars (sorry Russia!)
    Gotta give a shout out to Lilia Podkopayeva of Ukraine for a kick butt floor also!
    AND what about Tara Lipinksi in the 1998 Winter Olympics; I know how you feel about her! ;)

    ReplyDelete