Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What am I doing here?!

Winter. I'm not a fan! Honestly, one would think that it should be one of my favorite seasons considering it is full of great fun at Christmas, New Years and my Birthday. However, winter is the one season that I dread most. There are those people who cannot handle being hot, I am certainly not one of those people. Even if it is 100 degrees outside with humidity, I would much rather sit outside and sweat than deal with the winter weather. In the Summer, you'll still find my bed with a huge comforter, and lots-o-blankets. However, once winter rolls around take that lots-o-blankets and triple it and add a heated mattress pad.

I truly believe that I am one of those people who when Winter rolls around, I turn crabby! There is absolutely nothing about walking through a Fortune 500 Company parking lot with the temperature being 0 degrees, but with the windchill takes it down to -15 degrees. Not to mention, the snow, the ice, and freezing rain ... and the need to warm up your car for 30 minutes prior to even thinking about starting to chip away the ice covering the windows.

Those who know me know that my heart is is truly in Seattle as well as Columbus. I love both cities for very different reasons; but I will tell you - when it comes to Winter Time, Seattle wins me over! I was sitting here tonight, freezing, looking at the foot of snow covering my patio thinking "I wonder what the snow fall in Seattle was last year compared to Columbus?"

Let me share with you these statistics:
Seattle 2009: 11 inches of snow
Columbus 2009: 27 inches of snow

Are you kidding me?! Here is what makes even less sense to me! You walk out of any door in Seattle, or look out any window and you see this:

My personal favorite mountain, Mount Rainier. Elevation, 14,411 feet.

Think about it, Seattle sits right at the base of a snow covered mountain and only gets 11 inches of snow in 2009.

Columbus, Ohio - Highest elevation: Campbell Hill 1,549 feet. Clearly, this is no mountain by it even being called a "hill." No snow covered mountains, and yet we get 27 inches of snow last year. It truly boggles my mind!

I sit here and wonder: if I hate the snow, I hate the cold, I hate the wind, I hate the ice and I hate living in negative temperatures in the winter... what am I doing here?!

Now, don't get me wrong: I love Columbus. However, let's be honest... this mess that we've got going on for the 2nd Winter Storm for us in the past 4 days is getting a little tiresome. On that note, I better go to bed now to prepare to wake up early to go clean all of the fresh snow and ice off my car from what will continue to fall tonight....... ::sigh::

2 comments:

  1. Chicago snow in 2009: 54 INCHES.

    Don't complain, little lady. You have nothing on chicago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question to you Heidi, "What are you doing there?!" :)

    ReplyDelete