Sunday, August 9, 2009

August = Holiday Cards

It has officially hit the beginning of August, and that means it is time to start thinking of what I am going to do for my 2009 Holiday Cards! I cannot handle it, and I want to start planning my cards as soon as possible! First step: updating my list to include my new friends and/or family that I have made this year. Each year, my list gets longer and longer! My postage is a little more - but I don't mind! The more friends the better!

Being Catholic, I obviously celebrate Christmas - but as my list has grown and I continue to add more friends to send cards to, I've evolved to making my cards more neutral. That way, everyone can enjoy my cards, and not everyone is stuck with a store bought, rather a "Becca Original."

I love sending cards for almost any event. I will admit, I haven't been as great this year as I have in the past - and I hope that you will forgive me. Even though I may not have sent you a card for your event, know that I had every intentions of doing so!

As most of you know, I take my cards very seriously! I am a big fan of photography, and really enjoy going out and taking pictures. I have to thank two people for this love. It originally started with my Grandma Helen, who through my 28 yrs I am not sure I have ever not seen a camera in her hand. Because of her, she was my inspiration for signing up for photography class in high school. That class had to have been one of the best classes I've ever taken in my life. Granted, I look back - and my pictures really were nothing to brag about. However, it was great fun! Secondly, one of my best friends - Courtney. She is a true photography professional, and has truly inspired me to continue this hobby. The times that her and I have spent getting lost in the country roads of Ohio are priceless, and I would not trade them for the world. With her help, I have truly become much better with techniques and using my eye for great things.

The first year I sent out an original Christmas card, it was actually a fluke. The year before, my family had spent our Holiday in Nashville. While we were there, I took a picture of a poinsettia. I thought it was a nice picture, and it would like nice mounted on a black card to make the picture pop. The responses that I received when sending those cards were amazing! I really thought that my card was pretty, but then again I am biased since it was my own card! From them on out, I have competition each year. What in the world am I going to do every year that is better than the next?!

Christmas Card: 2006

Holiday Card 2007: Thank you to Tremont Goodie Shop for making exactly the cookies I wanted for this card! I could not have asked for a better selection of custom made cookies for my Holiday card!
Holiday Card 2008: By far, the most amazing! I had Courtney's help for this card, so I cannot take all of the credit. The ideas were all mine, but I did have help in making it absolutely perfect.


Holiday Card 2009: TBA
I have an idea as to what is going to come this year, but it is still a work in progress! I am hoping to take the picture of this year at the end of the month, but we will see how that works. I wish I could say that I blame all the people on my list for making me start in August because I have soo many people that I send it, but it really just comes down to I wait for this moment every year and absolutely love nothing more than spending my November writing 2093890238429034 personal notes in my very own Holiday Card!

**Don't worry Heidi, I've already added you to my list for 2009 and have my ways of already having your address! :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! You need to teach me how to be a REAL photographer. I would so love to take crazy-awesome pictures!!! BTW, those holiday cookes would have looked soooo REAL SIMPLE magazine if they were on a crisp white plate, don't you think? Do you read Real Simple? It's a kinda cute/kinda boring magazine. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! My friend Lindsay renews my Real Simple subscription every year for my xmas gift! I could totally see my cookies on a cover... hmmm... I should send them a copy and see if I can be published and famous!

    ReplyDelete