Thursday, June 3, 2010

Becca hates the Ohio State Highway Patrol

According to history, it commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service. It originally started with our own American Civil War, but then through time and losses, it honors all who fought for the freedom of our country. Civil War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the mess we have going on now in the Middle East. It is an important day, and one that I do believe is a very special event for all of those individuals who deserve that recognition.


Memorial Day Weekend, 2010. I was looking forward to my 3-day weekend. I didn't have huge plans other than to get the current apartment ready for the big move the following weekend, and to have a Girl's Night Out with some dear friends. In order to start the weekend off with a bang, I left work around 2:30pm to head up north to pick up my dear friend Courtney to come home for the weekend so she wasn't trapped in her apartment alone for the 3-day weekend. Besides a Girl's Night without her is just NOT an option. That simple.

As I begin my journey up 71 North from Columbus, I realize that it is going to be a very traffic filled ride as everyone else has plans to head out of town as well. I don't mind - I have no problems sitting in the car in the sunshine with the iPod blasting my speakers. I actually find it quite relaxing. As I continue up the highway, I notice that the Ohio State Highway Patrol is out in full force and ready to hand out tickets to any deserving people who cross their path breaking the law. Being that I don't trust my foot on the gas in these circumstances, I put my car on cruise control. No way am I going to receive a ticket on this Holiday. I've had a ticket on the 4th of July years back, and I learned my lesson on Holiday driving!

I get to Courtney's, we load of the car, we stop for a bite to eat and some Power Ball lotto tickets and then we are on our way for the oh-so- familiar drive that I could probably drive in my sleep. I've got the cruise control on, the navigation system on in case we need to hit a back road for traffic and we're cruising the open road with Ron & Ginny (my Godkitties, Courtney's cats) in the back enjoying the ride as well. According to my speedometer, I am doing 70 mph. According to my navigation system, I am doing 70 mph. Glad to see that they are the same, and I am likely going exactly 70 mph.

Heading down 71 South, a little past our 1/2 way point to be back in Delaware - almost to Mt. Gilead in Morrow County.


When all of a sudden.......... I see this.......


A Ohio State Highway Patrol standing in the middle of the right lane of the road motioning me to pull over. Courtney says, "Is he waving you over?" My reply, "I think so." What the hell?? I look at my speedometer, still doing 70 and still on cruise control. Seriously?? Like the good law abiding citizen I am, I pull to the side. He comes to the window and, quite confused ask the skinny and tall officer if I was speeding.

"Yes, Ma'am. I clocked you going at 80 mph coming down the hill, and then again at 76 mph."

WHHAAATTTT??!?!?!?!?!?

At this point, in my head, I am giving myself a pep talk to be polite and not to get an attitude in hopes if I am nice, he lets me off the hook. I tell him that it is impossible as I had it on cruise control, and I have been driving on 71 for the past 3 hrs knowing full and well that it was crawling with cops and I wouldn't speed knowing this on a Holiday weekend.

He doesn't care, clearly. Asks for my license, registration and insurance card. Great.

I locate the license. I locate the registration. Where is my most current insurance card you ask? On my bedside table at home in an envelope. @$*@)(%(@$(@$!!! Thankfully, I did have an expired one from 2007 with the same info that I was able to use. Whew.

He goes to his little car, he does his little job of making me sweat wondering if I'll get a warning or a ticket. Courtney and I discussing how in the hell I could possibly get a ticket when I wasn't speeding and I was on cruise control.

He gets out of his car, comes to my car with...........

A FLIPPING TICKET OF DOING 80 MPH IN A 65 ZONE!

Is this guy serious?? Now my attitude is starting to spark. I was nice in the beginning, but now this is just flat out ridiculous. He lets me know that my ticket is $119. It's due June 10th. My court date is June 10th in Morrow County if I want to go dispute it. Oh, and if I don't pay it - they'll issue a warrant for my arrest. Do I look that dumb to not pay my ticket? Granted, this gift he is providing me is falling on the exact same paycheck of rent in my new place, rent in my current place, car payment and cell phone. Thanks, Officer String Bean. I appreciate it.

With every ounce of energy in my body, I bite my tongue as he hands me the clipboard to sign...
Of course, I do it.
@(*$)(@*$)(@*)(@@($!!!

Come to find out, yesterday I hear of a new law passed by the Ohio Supreme Court. Law Enforcement is now able to pull drivers over if they "look" like they are speeding. Radars are no longer required, and "trained cops" can just guess what your speed is and issue a ticket.

Thank you, Ohio Supreme Court. I am pretty sure it's your fault that Officer String Bean pulled me over guessing my speed since there was no radar in his hands and he was standing in the middle of a 3 lane highway.

Memorial Day 2010: I honor all military and public service individuals WITH THE EXCEPTION OF: the Ohio State Highway Patrol. May you enjoy the ability to pull people over with the guess that they "might" be breaking the law. May I find someone to provide me with an FOP card that I can abuse the privilege like other law breaking, cop related family members, people out there who are able to get away with speeding and other traffic violations.

1 comment:

  1. oh, i do NOT like that new law!!! that's a problem!

    however, i have heard that if you go to court to dispute your ticket, a lot of times the police officer doesn't show up, and in that case, the ticket is dismissed and you don't have to pay. i'm sorry, becca!!

    ReplyDelete