Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thank you, Mr. FHI

Dear Mr. FHI Straightener:

I wanted to take a moment to provide you with a proper farewell. Look at you, just sitting there in my bathroom, very still. Hardly moving. The light bulb, blinking so bad that you can tell you want to turn on and finish the job. However, as of today, you no longer have life in you. You have moved onto a new home, a home that will help you relax and not have to worry about working as hard as you did to straighten my hair. You have taken your last breath.

I remember the first day I bought you, clear as day. Justine told me that by purchasing you it would be a great investment. I personally wanted to throw up at your cost being that I was only working part-time and going to school. So, naturally I put you on my credit card. Though I am likely still paying your interest 6 1/2 years later, Justine was correct. You are the single source of happiness to my morning routine, in making my hair presentable for everyone around.

Before you came along, my hair was curly. It was ugly. It was annoying. Most importantly, people made fun of my hair and called me names. (Granted, this was middle school and not as an adult, but still...)
In the 90s, it was cool to have a perm. Perms was great. However, later down the road - perms were not so hot. Once they went out of style, my naturally curly hair had not a leg to stand on and was nothing less than a hot mess. Because of you, you provided me with a new level of self-esteem that I had never had before. A reason to like my hair. A reason to leave the house without throwing my mop of curly hair up in a ponytail.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for 6 1/2 years of effort in making me beautiful. Though I will be replacing you tomorrow, I will think of you often and remember you fondly. You will always be my first straightener, and know that you were the single reason for my hair being straight for the past 6 1/2 years.

Love always,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment