Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Diary of a Single Girl

Most of you who know me, know that I am a single 29-yr old girl. It's nothing that I am ashamed of, nor is it anything that I hide. It is truly just one of those things in life where I know that my time will come. However, I have known so many situations of girls who will bend over backwards just to have a boyfriend. I'm not that girl. I'm also not the kind of girl who will start a relationship with someone whom I have no connection with just to fill that missing void. Don't get me wrong, there are days were I wonder to myself just when my time will come, but the thought is quickly diminished by something else of more importance.

Over the past few weeks, I've honestly had some time where I have sat and truly thought about various things that make being single even more okay than I thought it originally was before.

  • My time is my own: One of my most favorite parts of the day is coming home from work after a long day. I come home to a quiet house, and I virtually can do whatever I want to do for the rest of the night. If I want to go to the mall, I can. If I want to take a drive and just randomly drive clearing my head, I can. If I want to go to the gym, I can. If I want to just come home, sit in my big red chair all night long... I can do that too. I can do whatever I want.
  • I am and will continue to be picky: I have had my share of relationships, and clearly since I am single now - they didn't work out. I am okay with this, and know that I took from every relationship exactly what I want and what I do not want in my future mate. I've waited this long, so why not wait longer to get exactly what I want instead of rushing into something I know that isn't going to be forever.
  • Less Drama: Do you know how nice it is not to have to have a lovers spat, rather sit on the other side of the table and helping a friend/family through their battle? I'd so much rather be their shoulder than be on the other side of the table with the drama. I will always be there for any of my friends or family who needs an ear - but by being single, I'm shedding years of drama of my life and am totally okay with it.
  • Impressing myself: In the morning, if I have a hair out of place or decide not to wear make-up fully - I can. Though you don't want to make these days too frequent or you will find yourself single even longer than you anticipated - but being single always a little more freedom. I'm here to impress me, myself and I. In my eyes, I know I have imperfections - but in my eyes I also see perfection and no one tells me otherwise.
  • Being spontaneous: I am very lucky that one of my best friends is also single. Being that we are both single, this allows us to do whatever the heck we want to do. If we want to jump in the car and drive to New York for the weekend, we can - and oh we have. You might as well consider us Thelma and Louise because it is the most amazing feeling in the world to be so free to go wherever and see the world.
I do look forward to the day where I do have another half, however for the time being I am going to enjoy singlehood for everything that it is and everything I want it to be. I absolutely refuse to be the girl to sit in the fetal position waiting for Prince Charming to knock on my door. I also refuse to throw myself at just anyone just for the sake of saying "I have a boyfriend." I will continue to wait, be patient, have fun and make my life whatever I want it to be.

I have never forgotten, and never will forget something my Mom & Great Grandma have always told me, "Be picky." Picky is exactly what I plan on being.

No comments:

Post a Comment