Monday, April 12, 2010

A Community Coming Together: The Decker's Story

I apologize up front of my absence in my blogging, or lack there of I should say! I've had the worst case of writers block and couldn't for the life of me think of anything funny or witty to talk about! However, this blog is on the more serious note - I won't let my fan club down and will write a funny blog to make up for the seriousness of this blog. I promise.

As you may or may not be aware, I grew up for the first 10 years in my life in a small little cow-town called Enumclaw, right at the base of Mt. Rainier near Seattle, Washington. Though I only lived there for a short time before my Dad's job relocated us to California - I do have fond memories of this town and still visit every chance that I can. Thankfully, I was blessed with a pretty good memory and remember quite a few details of my days in Enumclaw. From riding my bike down to Montgomery Park and having a water balloon fight, or covering myself in Jessica's Debbie Gibson Electric Youth perfume, or having a matching Espirit bag as April... the memories go on. One of the most distinctive landmarks I remember is a big white house right in downtown not too far from the middle school. I thought that this house was one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen, and to this day - I can still remember it as if I were seeing it in person. The house belonged to the Decker Family.

I moved away from Enumclaw in 1991, and have only been back to visit every now and again (aka: every chance I get!) and have never forgotten the Deckers. Through my childhood Enumclaw connections on Facebook, I ran across a group called, "We want to see the Deckers on ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition!!" The minute I saw it, I thought "It must be the Deckers in the big white house!" Reading more about their story, I found myself sobbing with my heart hurting for them. Their story is one that is truly a story of love, triumph and a community coming together to support a family in their time of need. That is the beauty of Enumclaw, it is a small town who has the togetherness to stick together through their residents time of need. I encourage everyone to not only join the group to support the Deckers, but also read the blog that goes along with it to learn about their story. Though I warn you, I know I am a very sensitive and emotional person, I would have some tissues ready if you watch the attached videos.

My heart goes out to the Decker family, and I applaud those in the community who help with those fundraisers to aid their medical bill challenges. If I were not 2,400 miles away - I would without a doubt do anything in my power to help and be apart of that community. For now, I am going to help by rallying with the Facebook Group to support Extreme Makeover Home Edition and spread the word to by pass the population of Enumclaw of 11,000 people. They are almost half way there, I challenge everyone to read their story and pass on the information if they are touched (I know you will be...)!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=112160658809224&ref=nf

http://sccsdecker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment