Sunday, January 17, 2010

Missed the deadline, Missed the enjoyable taste

November 2008, my dear friend Courtney created a calendar full of beautiful flower photos that she had taken as a small token for a very well known Columbus based company as a hopeful mini-gift as a follow-up to an interview with the company which she had recently completed for a studio photographer. This calendar was so stunning, that I had ordered a calendar for myself to hang at my desk at work; and proceeded to order others for family members for Christmas. The calendar received so many compliments from people that I work with, and really caught great attention of others - her and I decided together to try to make a 2010 calendar with a little different flavor - Desserts. I love baking, she loves taking pictures - it's the perfect combination for a great masterpiece!

Unfortunately, the craziness of live got in the way and being mid-January it is still not completed and we only have 3 pictures completed. Oops! Since it's still down the road, we decided now to just take our time in getting the pictures taken through the year and have it up and running for 2011.

This past Saturday, we met up at my parents house to create a cake that we could use for one of our months. She came prepared with the cookbook, and I arrived prepared to use all of my Mom's ingredients and rummage through her fridge to save money from my checking account. (Thanks, Mom!) We found this cake:

White Chocolate Cake

Looks good, right? A cake split in two pieces with some type of white chocolate custard in the middle with shaved white chocolate on top. (Drooling...)

After a quick run to the store, we are prepared to make the cake! Melt the chocolate, break the eggs, add the sugar, grease the pan, etc. etc. etc.

The batter does NOT look right at this point, but my Mom assures us that everything is fine and to put it in the oven and see how it turns out. My Mom is one of the most amazing bakers I've ever met in my life, so I trust her.

...20 minutes later...

What in the heck is this thing?! Yep - that's our cake. This is the cake that came out of the oven. It looks nothing like what we had planned. It looks nothing like the picture in the recipe book. Quite frankly, it looks like nothing I've ever seen before in my life. If you knock on those little humps, they are hard as a rock. Okay - it's weird, right? Wait, you haven't seen weird yet...

The bubbles on top, they introverted and the bottom of this "cake" has dents. See that big rip out of the side? That's the part that we ripped off to test the final product which was the consistency of a cracker. Don't believe me on being thin and crisp as a cracker - you will now!


Final Verdict:
Don't ask for this recipe, you won't like it and I am pretty sure that the publisher of this book should be forced to eat this "thing," after I toss it like a frisbee to them to enjoy!

**Looks like we're still on the hunt for 9 more desserts to complete the final project.It's a good thing we've decided to wait to debut until 2011, we clearly need more time!

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you just come to Lovin Oven and take pictures? you can make a Lovin Oven calendar.

    ReplyDelete