Monday, June 22, 2009

Team Buz - Walking in Memory/Honor of Loved Ones

This past weekend, I had the honor of walking in the Columbus Memory Walk, which directly benefits the Alzheimer's Association of Columbus. I have walked in these walks before, but this time was special and had true meaning to the reason I was doing it. One of my best friends of 13+ years, lost her father to a battle of Alzhemier's a few years ago. I saw the pain and suffering that not only he was put through, but the suffering the Courtney and her family experienced during this long battle. This was my reason for wanting to support Courtney in her want to do this walk.

In sending out my email is asking for donations (which I really hate doing to everyone; but this cause was very important!), I learned that one of the families who I cared for at Goddard also has a loved one who has recently been diagnosed with this disease. Knowing two families who are both very close to me, it made this even more special. I decided to kick this up a notch, and surprise not only Courtney - but the Brenner family as well with a small tribute to their loved ones. Michele had provided me with a picture of her Mom with a small email she had written me explaining their family's heart ache of the diagnoses of her Mom, and I knew I could get pictures of Courtney's dad with no problems. I made a quick trip to Wal*Mart and purchased the paper to transfer pictures on t-shirts and print pictures. Knowing that I could not get the pictures on the shirts prior to the walk (since we get the t-shirts that day!), Team Buz proudly walked through the walk with Harry and/or Barbara safety pinned to our shirts. This was not only a surprise to Courtney, but a surprise to both the Scott & Brenner families. It is the least I could do for being such amazing people in my life. Courtney wore a flower that indicated she was walking in memory of her Dad, and I wore a flower walking in honor of Barbara. It was VERY special to do this walk for a purpose, and for someone who you actually know.

Upon my arrive home, I transferred the pictures onto my Memory Walk shirt. I am proud to show my love and support by having these two individuals forever on my shirt! Knowing that the Alzheimer's Association's color was purple; I proudly sported my purple Nike capri's with my purple Memory Walk t-shirt. I'll be honest, I looked like Grimace from McDonalds. Unless you were at the walk - you will not see evidence of this outfit unless the smaller version of the team picture is an okay picture of me. :) Sorry folks, use your imagination! Though, it doesn't matter how silly I looked, it's the meaning behind my all purple outfit.
*Barbara Lanning: Grandmother to Olivia, Owen & Jack Brenner.
*Harry Scott: Father to one of my dearest friends, Courtney.
*Flower in the middle says (It's hard to read): In Honor of Barbara Lanning

After the walk, Team Buz decided to head to Clintonville and have breakfast at Northstar Cafe. I would like to give a shoutout to the place that has the most amazing smoothie in the world! Not only were the smoothies amazing, they were the prettiest things I've ever seen! ...and let me be honest, since I am on a bland diet - I have to be very careful what I eat, I chose to eat yogurt and granola. I've never been a fan of yogurt or granola - but I loved every bite that I had! It was amazingly good!

*Kate's Blueberry Smoothie, my Strawberry Smoothie, and Courtney's Shooting Star Smoothie. Mmmmmm!

End of the day, I am happy to have participated in this years Memory Walk and am looking forward to doing it every year in honor of those who are special to me as well as others!

No comments:

Post a Comment