Thursday, June 4, 2009

Difficult Goodbyes


It's been awhile, I know! But, don't think that I am slacking - because that is certainly not the case. Actually, it's been the complete opposite of slacking and have been busy in maintaining my New Years Resolution of attempting to have more fun! I'm in a place in my life right now where it is absolutely critical to have fun. Though, like all people - we wish we had more $$ to have even more fun! So, my fun is limited in small portions! I'll tell more of my fun next week, after my fun-filled weekend. I'm going to keep this blog to be sappy and sweet and actually makes me kind of sad!

For a week and a half, my family and I spent some time up in Alaska on vacation. The reason for this trip was primarily to join in the celebration of my cousin, Keya's, high school graduation. We spent 3 days in Sitka, which is a small beautiful island town. You cannot get to the town by car, you have to take boat or plane. Seeing her was great fun since we don't get to see her often! Additionally, we were able to visit with my Uncle Rick, Aunt Debby, Grandpa Hal, Grandma Helen and Great Aunt Dolores. Being in Ohio, we are not lucky enough to see our relatives as often as we would like. Keya's graduation was just the perfect time to reconnect with everyone and see each other again. Leaving Sitka was hard, only because we all know that we don't see Keya, Rick & Debby enough. We are all so far away and that opportunity really never arises. Spending time in Kenai with my Grandparents for a few extra days was also a treat - because though we see them a little more, it is always fun to see them as much as we possibly can! I can only hope that we don't wait another 6 years to do this again...

A few weeks ago, I received news that one of the families that I have babysat the longest were moving to Alabama. I heard the news, and of course was sad to see the Dunsmore Family leave Ohio. I've known them since before Colin (now 6 yrs old) was born, and they have always been very special to me. I cannot be more thankful to have watched Colin & Nolan grow to who they are today. Yesterday, I went to go say my final goodbye before they journey off on Friday morning. For those of you who know me, when it comes to this stuff - I am an emotional basketcase. Hugging those boys goodbye, and having them tell me how much they were going to miss me (followed up with "Miss Becca, will you send me presents?"), really tugged at my heart! Not to mention hugging their parents who have not only allowed me to be apart of their kids lives, but who are truly a part of my family. Joe & Sheryl have done a lot for me throughout the years, and their gratitude for the times I shared with those amazing boys is something that I will never forget. I owe Sheryl so much - and she knows this. Nearing graduation at Ohio State, I had no idea what I was going to do with my life, and she gave this girl a chance at Staffing at Cardinal Health. She went on a whim, only knowing that I work well with children... because of her, I would not be in the position that I love today. (I guess she knew that I would use my babysitting/daycare skills for monitoring adults!) :)

Colin & Nolan surprised me with a mug with their picture to remember them... though I don't need a mug to remember those smiles! Did I cry in their presence? Thankfully, no. However, going to the car and calling my Mom and telling her how sweet everyone was with their goodbyes caused tears. I'm going to miss those boys tremendously (Sheryl & Joe too!). How could I ever forget Colin's big blue eyes and gummy smile as a baby, or Nolan's sweet and gentle spirit?! I will miss the entire Dunsmore Family with all my heart, but wish them well on their travels to Alabama. I never had a reason to visit Alabama before, but now I know of 4 reasons to visit! Love to you all!













*My mug with two grown and adorable boys. :(

















1 comment:

  1. Sitka is the town in The Proposal where the cute actor guy is from! Oooh--you totally have to see that movie now!

    ReplyDelete