Monday, February 21, 2011

Special Projects for Mindy Bell & All Women


As many people can figure out from reading my last blog, I have a wonderful friend who has been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She is a trooper, and in no way is letting her diagnosis get her down. Her attitude is phenomenal and it is all of her positive energy that will carry her through her journey.

Since I learned of her diagnosis, I have tried to brainstorm everything in my power to show her all the support I can provide.

  • On Valentine's Day, she underwent surgery and had a double mastectomy. Since I am not a fan of Valentine's Day anyways, I have now renamed February 14th every year, Mindy Bell day. It's something small, but something very real!
  • Secondly, a group of friends rallied around Mindy and her family to provide them with meals and restaurant gift cards for when she is feeling under the weather, the would not have to cook or worry about meals. On the flip side, the fast food gift cards were provided to help with their busy schedule as their young girls are always on the run- headed to dance class/competitions, Girl Scouts, soccer, etc. It is amazing to me how many people came through for her and her family. Just from my little group alone, we provided the Bell Family with 5 frozen dishes, 3 dozen cookies, and over $300 worth of gift cards. Including a gift card to Whole Foods since soon she will under go chemo and will have to eat all organic during the process.
  • Along with the help of others, we have started a team to support Mindy through the Columbus Race for the Cure in May 2011."Bell's Boobs" has started to form and is starting to collect donations to go towards the Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research. Anyone who will be around on May 14th and would like to participate, please let me know! We will be designing our very own t-shirts and be decked out in nothing but pink!
  • On the day Mindy was released from the hospital, she came home to a neighborhood of pink bows on mailboxes to show the community support for her. I thought to myself, I don't have a mailbox (since I have a community mail area), and how could I show Mindy my support for her throughout the year. That said, I made a wreath to show my support and awareness for women battling or who have battled this condition. I was so incredibly impressed on how the wreath turned out! After shopping long and hard for the best ribbon, flowers and charms - it was complete! I will be making one for Mindy here soon that she can hang on her door, and have several inquiries from others to buy them from me. This has been a huge hit, and I'm thrilled that I could find something that everyone would like to show their love and support for Mindy and all other women!


I love you Mindy Bell, and I am here to support you, Todd, Alyssa & Audra through your journey 10000%! Keep your head up, and know that this will only be something in the past this time next year. I have faith that your positive attitude will carry you, and all of us are praying for you daily! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment