Friday, September 11, 2009

I am my Father's Daughter

My Mom might be the smartest person I've ever met in my life, seriously! The other day driving down the road, I had a question about Russia and she rattled off for about 10 minutes on the in's and out's of Russia's current political status. She absolutely amazes me with the knowledge that she has built up in her brain! There is no question in my mind why she is so knowledgeable... she LOVES to read. I mean LOVES IT! She wakes up in the morning, she reads. She eats lunch, she reads. She "watches tv," she is really reading her book. She goes to bed, again - she's reading. She can probably finish one book a day if she truly could dedicate her entire day to reading. She has been this way since she was a kid. Kathy can always be found with a book in her hands.

She has one daughter who actually doesn't mind reading. She would prefer to lay in bed at night and read a biography on Audrey Hepburn than watch tv. Her other daughter (me, obviously), follows in the steps of her father and does not read. I am like my Dad - the only book(s) I read is if I am on an airplane or in a situation where I have absolutely nothing to do. If there is a tv in front of me, forget it. Reading is a lost cause, and I'd much prefer to watch my DVDs, or whatever the current show addiction is. Last year, I found an author that I truly enjoyed and I actually finished 3 of her books within a month period. I was so proud of myself - but again, I was on a work trip to San Diego when I finished 2 of the 3 books. I was stuck on a plane, I was stuck in airports on lay overs and had nothing better to do with my time. I was able to squeeze in book #3 somewhere between watching tv shows.

A few months later, I hear of this series called the "Twilight" series. All of my friends were reading it, all of my friends were talking about it, and I felt like I needed to read them to join in on the fun. I mean, who is this Edward Cullen guy? It takes place in Forks, Washington - birthplace of my darling cousin... I should give this a try! So - I read Twilight... and LOVE IT! Next step, book #2: New Moon. Maybe people didn't like this one nearly as much as the 1st one. I'm not prejudice, I liked it just as much! Next one, Eclipse. Just as amazing as book #1 and book #2. Finally, Breaking Dawn - which is literally the size of a phone book! (The phonebook from my last blog that is STILL sitting on my neighbors door mat.) I read... I read... and I read... and then in typical Becca fashion - I come to a stand still. For the life of me, I cannot pick it up again to continue reading it. I am told that I am at a very critical part of the book and one of the most amazing things I will ever read - but I can't do it! ADHD has kicked in. I have hit my quota and I just cannot read anymore! I come home from work, exhausted and the last thing I want to do is read.

My Mom is my Mom and she would never judge me for not reading. It breaks her heart, but let's face it I am her daughter and she loves me for me and not my ability to read. She is understanding that I am my father's daughter and I would rather read the side of a cereal box or People magazine than read a 700 page book. Word went around to some of my posse that I have not yet finished Breaking Dawn and thus the threats begin. Not only does one of my longest standing best friends continue to give me a hard time in saying that me quitting reading at this point is basically like quitting school right before graduation. (Point taken, Courtney!) She is one of the only ones who know that I have not finished... until last night. I receive a text from my dear cousin ripping me a new one because a little bird by the name of COURTNEY ELLEN SCOTT had sent her a text letting her know that I had not finished yet. At this point, I was threatened by my own flesh and blood when I touch down in Seattle on Tuesday that she is going to basically beat me. I have two of the closest people in my life threatening me!!

I'm flying to Seattle on Tuesday, and I cannot have my 6 mo pregnant cousin beating me for not finishing Breaking Dawn. Tonight, I bought it and downloaded it onto my ipod. Brilliant idea, I know! Now on the plane, I can actually listen to someone read to me and do my search-a-word at the exact same time. This is absolutely brilliant! If this works out - you can be sure that I will start "reading" more. Maybe I'll "read" while I work and listen to audiobooks during the day! Then, maybe just MAYBE, I can be as smart as my Mom and not have to live my life in fear from my dear friend and my dear cousin. Regardless of their threats - Courtney & Rhiannon - I love you both anyways! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment