Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"I like the way I cry..."

Don't let the title of this blog disturb you - but the new Eminem/Rihanna, "I like the way you lie..." song came into my mind when I was thinking of how to title this masterpiece of words. By the title, I am guessing you're probably realizing that my blog topic is about my crying. Random, huh!?

I think that people would be surprised at some of the little secrets I harvest inside. I feel that I am a very outgoing (cough, cough - loud), caring, motivated, giving, hard working, and funny person. People may or may not think otherwise, but that's how I think I could best describe me. However, to add onto that list:

I love my job.

I love my family.

I love my friends.

I love Seattle.

I love Columbus.

I love to cry.

Yes, you read that correctly. I love to cry.

There was a time where I thought that I could possibly need a therapist for the amount of crying that I do on a weekly basis - but the more I thought about it, the crying just proves that I am sensitive. You would probably be surprised to know that I cry virtually every single day. Not because I am sad - it is almost always because I am happy.

Everyday, I DVR TLC Daytime. Shows including The Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, etc. (If you're reading this blog, you are probably well aware that I LOVE babies!) When it comes to babies being born, I cry. I am happy for families who are so blessed to have their new little bundles of joy. I am happy for those around them who are lucky enough to see this new little person grow up into someone spectacular. Think about it - can you imagine how much I cry if it is actually the birth of someone I KNOW? I'm a mess. A hot mess.

Weddings, that's another trigger to open up the flood gates! This past weekend, I made the trip up to Cleveland to "assist" (I use the word loosely and really I was just there for moral support) Courtney with photographing a wedding. I've met the bride probably about 3 or 4 times, and knew who she was enough to tell her Congratulations when I saw her walk in. No way did I know her well enough to sob when the Maid of Honor was giving the toast to the new couple, and then the Best Man doing the same. I love Courtney - she noticed my mascara running and was convinced it was because I was hot and sweaty from the humidity. I could have easily gotten away with that, but I'm not ashamed. If I was at your wedding, I probably cried then too! Regardless of what people think, I am always thrilled for the new couple and the adventures that they will soon embark on.

Typically, the trigger of the daily water works are tv shows. I am not so much a commercial crier, rather a show crier. I've cried while watching the Cake Boss (Buddy got the key to the city where he grew up! How could you not cry!?), I've cried while flying over Mt. Rainier and leaving the beautiful sights of Seattle to come back home to the flatlands of corn fields, I've cried during pretty much every graduation I've ever been to, I even cried my last day as an HP employee and transitioning to a full-time Cardinal employee. I hated working for HP, so these tears were nothing less than relief in one light, but sadness of my dear Sales Recruiting Team parting ways.

I always joke around that I likely have the clearest tear ducts in the world. It is a very rare day that I am not sitting on my couch or in my bed watching tv that I am not crying at something going on in front of me.

Is it weird that I can say that I actually enjoy crying?!?! Don't worry - I promise I am mentally stable. Just sensitive and happy for particular situations! :)

1 comment:

  1. Becca - I seriously LOVE this post! Thanks for opening up and being transparent. I love to cry too...probably not as much as you though...and I'm totally a "show crier" ha ha. I know that you love babies being born cuz you sent us those BEAUTIFUL clothes for Kaitlyn. You are so sweet and I know you have a tender heart. Crying is such a catharsis...I don't understand why so many people try to hold back the tears. Leave the flood gates open! It feels great to have a good cry now and again.

    ReplyDelete